It Is Written

This is the journey of an aspiring writer! Follow me as I find my voice and explore the world of publication.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kindle Vs. Book

With all the recent uproar in the publishing world concerning the change from physical books to e-books, it's enough to scare a writer and librarian, which I am both. This major change threatens both of my passions. However, after watching a little series on Youtube known as "The Book Vs. the Kindle" I feel slightly better that physical books will never completely go away. For example, childrens' picture books can't really translate to the Kindle with all the colorful illustrations and large words. With a Kindle you can't swap books with your friends or get a copy from the library. You also can't find those hidden treasures in a used book store with a Kindle. And forget about taking the Kindle on vacation; if you're going anywhere with a beach you'll have to be extremely careful not to get water on your Kindle or leave it in the sun too long...something you don't have to worry about with cheap paperbacks that are meant to go on vacations. You also can't get those precious author signed copies of your favorite books with a Kindle. The Kindle is a good idea in theory, but will it last or is it merely a trend?

2 comments:

  1. I think there's room for both. I read e-books on my itouch and still buy physical books too. I really like the convenience of e-readers but I don't think it will become my primary reading medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the e-reader as well, but having tried reading on one it's just not the same. I think they'll both stick around as well.

    ReplyDelete